Sunday, January 02, 2005

Interrupting

Ok - I'm apparently in the mood to chat.

I have a roommate. A very smart financial move on my part. And she's a nice roommate. She cleans - everything. I don't think I've done dishes or taken out the trash since she's been here.

But she's so very talkative. When I'm on the computer, she tells me a story about her niece. When I'm watching a movie, she tells me about her day. When I have the TV on she discusses the weather.

Now, I didn't grow up watching TV. So when I have the TV on I'm actually paying attention and watching the show - it's not a background, white noise kind of thing. And I hate people talking during a movie!

And I want to be polite. So I've tried making sure the TV is off for a bit when she comes home and wants to discuss her day (this is sounding waaaaaay too much like a relationship). To give her a hint, I'll pause the movie and turn to listen. I've ignored her. Even mentioned I was watching a show and didn't want to talk now. No change.

So I continue to be annoyed. Yet weighing my annoyance against never having to do the dishes or take out the trash.... Yup, I'll put up with it.

Just don't you interrupt my movie!