Thursday, April 07, 2005

The ring

So way back in June of '04 my former husband and I were still together. He was saying something about leaving but I was in firm denial. Anyway, I went to my mom's and helped cook dinner. I took off my wedding band and put in in her convenient ring holder by the sink.

A few days go by before I make it back to retrieve the forgotton ring. Only Mom went on a cleaning spree, didn't see my wedding ring and dumped the contents of the ring holder in the trash. Much looking and dumpster diving but it was gone. I cried.

So D is still here and I decide I want another wedding band. Something cheap. He says he's leaving but I want to show I'm still married. D agrees to go looking with me. We find a nice band at Zales for under $100.

Fast forward. Now divorced, definately not wearing the substitute ring.

Found the ring again and thought I could take it to a pawn broker and maybe get $20. so put it in the change pocket of my purse. Carry it around for weeks being abruptly reminded of my new single status every time I get change.

So I'm driving the highway home one evening at 70mph and I'm struck with a thought - I'm going to chuck the sucker out the window.

And so I do and grin all the way home.

No comments: