Monday, March 06, 2006

Seby update

So we think the pain episodes are being caused by a slipped disk/vertabrae problem/pinched nerve or some such problem probably in his front shoulder area.

Treatment - keep my super energetic dog from running, jumping or climbing for at least two weeks. Right-o. I'm going to try but I'm not sure how well I'll succeed.

Unfortunately the vet also found blood in his urine and thinks that he has a calcification in his bladder wall. This is the same spot that caused the surgery three years ago. But with his enlarged heart, anethstesia is an issue. So she wants to do an echocardiogram first.

But here's the dilemma - no money. All of the above is terribly expensive. I'm really attached to my dog but I'm really attached to the idea of not filing for bankrupcy too! Sigh...

So a couple Seby stories... The heartbreaking one first...

Last night I had been asleep for about an hour. Seby cries out but this time he doesn't stop after the initial yelp. He screams his high pitched, agonizing puppy wail for at least half a minute or longer.

It felt like an eternity. I tried to pick him up but I couldn't figure out how to pick him up and not hurt him more 'cause I still don't know what causes the pain! I finally got him against my chest, spine straight, fully supporting his weight and his cries ebbed to whimpers.

We went into the living room and I tried setting him down. His front legs collapsed under him. He tried to sit up but his legs wouldn't hold his weight. He finally just laid down. A bit later he was up and moving again but my poor mother's heart...

And a funny story...
My puppy, like most dogs, does not like baths. Over the years he's learned to tolerate it but they're definately not a voluntary activity.

Lately, Seby has been at my heels following me everywhere when I'm home. It's been rather annoying since I'm paranoid about stepping on him and causing pain but I also need to be able to walk.

Anyway, so I go to take a shower. One second after I get in, thunk!, there's Seby. OK - that's just too funny! My dog is soooo in need of cuddles that he braves the dreaded bathtub! So I talk sweetly and put him out of the tub.

Thunk! Two seconds later, he's back! So I put him out again and sternly order "Stay!". After all, getting wet and cold can't be a good thing for a hurting puppy!

So I finally lean back to get my hair wet and I feel something the back of my calves. Let me just say that jumping in suprise in a wet bathtub is not a good scenario. (no mishaps though, fortunately) Yep, it was Seby. He worked his way to the front of the tub and jumped in again - technically still obeying the mom's stay command issued at the far side of the tub.

At this point I have to work very hard to keep the amusement out of my voice and order him to stay out of the tub. He did stay out and we cuddled on the couch for hours after. The things a mom will do...

2 comments:

MrsM said...

Poor baby, I'm so sorry you and Seby have to go through all this. What a sweet thing to be going through all this and still want to be so close to you he puts his shower hate aside. Thats a big thing there. How is Glory?

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info »