Saturday, June 03, 2006

First Child

Well, I have my first foster child. I'm doing weekend respite care for a 11-yr-old boy. This weekend is his foster parents' anniversary so all 5 (!) of the foster kids are in respite care. His foster father dropped him off Friday just before dinner and will pick him up on Sunday night.

So fare it seems to be going well. I've made the first parental sacrifice - no sleeping in on the weekends! The foster parents requested I keep him on his schedule - 8pm bed and then he wakes up on his own at 6:30-7. Fortunately he slept in as well so I didn't have to get up until 8am.

So a happy weekend to all of us!!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

So how old is he and is he disabled? Or do foster parents get paid breaks also?

MrsM said...

How exciting! I would love to hear all about it after the weekend.

Hope you both have a fun weekend together!

prudhoeman said...

Good for you. I hope all goes.

john r mclay said...

Seems a shame to split up the kids for the weekend - are the others with someone as nice as you, or, at a sweat shop in New Mexico making NIKE's?