Thursday, January 24, 2008

Confession

OMG! She confessed!!!!

AJ has a horrible, pervasive, compulsive lying problem. She will deny taking the cookie while she's still chewing it.

A month or two ago she came to me all freaked out because she had these painful, itchy bumps under her arm. Well, low and behold, there's a shaving rash under her arm and no hair!

I asked her if she shaved. Oh no. She hadn't shaved, she cut the hair with scissors! I told her I didn't believe her and that it was obvious she had used my razor without permission. She yelled, stamped around, slammed the door, loudly proclaimed I never believed her, etc. And that was the end of round one.

So tonight she comes in and is worried about her arm pit hair. She's afraid it will grow so long and never stop and people will see (remember, she's 10: young woman's developing body, little girl's head). I suggest I could teach her to shave. "Ehwee, that's gross mommy!" I pointed out to her she has shaved once before and I didn't believe her "it was the scissors" story and, if she confessed, we could talk about teaching her how to shave. She stamped off yelling about how I always think she's lying, she's never shaved, etc., etc. Hmmm. End of round two.

So tonight during bedtime prayers she asks God to forgive her for lying to mommy. And, after tuck-in tickles, she says she wants to tell me something - "very big honesty". After lots of hemming and hawing and a long irrelevant story about calling another kid a name while playing tetherball, she finally confesses.

YEAH!!!!

It is so sweet to watch her heart grow and change.

3 comments:

Jan said...

That is so funny. When are our kids going to learn that we see through their lies - well, most of them, we hope! Great story - it makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about you and AV this morning. You are reaching her heart, but it can take a while to see any outward change.

So how are you liking your new car?

Jenn

Anonymous said...

Haven not heard from you in awhile! I was wondering how you were doing. I have not been keeping up on blog as well either. Life gets crazy doesn't it? I just thinking about you today. Jenn